Thursday, December 11, 2008

Creator of the Stars of Night

Last night during Vespers, we sang the ancient hymn, "Creator of the Stars of Night." We sang it as the chant that it was. And I know that there are some people in the church who would argue against such kind of things... "It's awkward to sing. It makes folks uncomfortable..." et cetera and and so on. Whatever.

Maybe it is just me, but the simplicity of the music (even with the piano accompaniment) let the text of the hymn shine through. I was struck at how easy it was to sing the proclamation of the gospel. The second and third stanzas read:
In sorrow that the ancient curse
should doom to death a universe,
you came, O Savior, to set free
your own in glorious liberty.

When this old world drew on toward night
you came; but not in splendor bright,
not as a monarch but the child
of Mary, blameless mother mild
For me the awkwardness of the chant, which to be honest can still be awkward at times even for me, was lost as I fell into these words. I was reminded that this creator of the stars and all worlds, stooped down to save me (along with the rest of you, I guess). And I wonder if my being off-balance from the music kept me open to hear the words, as I focused to cling to them as the melody hauntingly moved. I don't know. I suppose, as in the sermon, the Holy Spirit flits around the room like a dove and lands where I know not. Last night I think I felt those wings, reminding me of the wonder of God's story.

No comments: